I used to think that coconut milk is bad for our health. I grew up believing that coconut milk causes obesity, heart disease and diabetes. Researches show that coconut milk has many benefits and it doesn't cause obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
Processed food, sugar, inactive lifestyle and stress are the major contributors to the many deadly diseases.
With this knowledge, I devour coconut milk in curry laksa without any guilty feeling. But keep in mind, ANYTHING in excessive is not good.
This recipe for laksa paste uses fresh local herbs with many medicinal properties. Researches found that turmeric, galangal and lemongrass have anti-inflammatory agents and high anti-oxidant. Isn't it nice to eat something rich, delicious yet healthy?
I urge you to make your own laksa paste instead of buying from the store as many of those sold in stores have high sugar content, artificial flavouring and colouring.
Ingredients for Laksa Paste
- 20 gr dried shrimp (hebi) - soaked in hot water for 3 minutes
- 50 gr shallots - peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic - peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoon chili boh
- 2 cm galangal
- 1 cm turmeric
- 1 stalk lemongrass - sliced the white part
- 2 candle nut
- Blend all the ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- Heat oil in a wok, fry the blended spices in medium fire until fragrant and the oil separated.
Ingredients for the Curry Laksa
- 1 pack of Ketomee Konjac Noodle – rinsed with cold water and drain
- 500 ml chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon laksa paste
- 1 chicken drumstick
- 2 tofu puffs
- 4 fish balls
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 1 red chilli – seeded and sliced
- 1 sprig coriander leaves
- 1 slice lime
- Cook the chicken drumstick in the chicken broth until well cooked.
- Take out the chicken from the soup and shred the meat with a fork. Set aside.
- Add in the laksa paste into the soup, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add in the coconut milk and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the fish balls and tofu puffs. Cook until all of them float to surface.
- Arrange the noodle in a bowl, ladle the soup into the bowl.
- Top the noodle with tofu puffs, fish balls, shredded chicken.
- Garnish with sliced red chillies, coriander leaves and a slice of lime.
- Ready to serve.